Monday, October 6, 2008

About Me and My Crookston

Hello, my name is Kay Hegge. I used to be a “Henre.” Many people know me as Paul’s sister or Chuck’s sister. Mom and Dad used to run “Erickson Electric” where my Dad was an electrical contractor and a store on Broadway next to Widman’s Candy in my hometown, Crookston, Minnesota My Mom, Marlene Erickson’s side of the family goes back to four generations of Ericksons and Olsons. My Dad, Dean Henre, goes back through four generations of Crookstonites through his mother’s side, Bertha Bjoin. Her father, Tom Bjoin, built the now gone, Opera Block, and had a Livery Stable on north Broadway. I live just south of town now after spending 18 years in Mentor, raising registered Morgan horses, and prior to that spent time in St. Paul, Madison, Wisconsin, and Chicago, Illinois.I am deeply involved in historic preservation in Crookston because its Downtown has a large percentage of turn of the century brick buildings. One project, a former gothic cathedral begs to be a combination performing arts space, visual art display and sales, and a Northwestern Minnesota Visitor Center. You can find out more at www.prairieskyline.com. Disclaimer: Thoughts expressed in this blog are those of the author alone and are not necessarily a reflection of the opinions of the other members of Prairie Skyline Foundation. We are also anxiously awaiting news on a restoration grant for a large 3 story Romanesque commercial building on Robert Street in which I have my consignment shop, Kay’s Attic & Antique Emporium featuring antiques, collectibles, and recyclables. You can find out more about the store at www.kaysattic.com. We are working to restore the building next door, the former Crookston Paint & Glass building as well. Did you know that it used to be the Lyceum Theatre? Or the Sally Ann Bakery? Or Rock’s Jewelry?? The history of the buildings downtown is fascinating.

I have been blessed with three great kids! I have a wonderful son age 13 who helps me a lot at the store. I have a daughter a year from graduating from veterinary school and a daughter and granddaughter living right next door to me. I also have two horses, a dog, a cat, and a disfunctional huge aquarium.

I love the outdoors, keeping life simple, horseback riding, and camping with horses. I read all kinds of books, and love all kinds of music except hard rock. Of course the great stuff from the 60’s and 70’s is excepted! I am a bit shy in big groups, but I do love to meet people one on one and find out all about them.

I am interested in so many things, sometimes I feel like I’m cursed. Right now I am learning about EBay and the new social internet from John Reitmeier. Check out his blog at http://reitmeier.blogspot.com. It’s great! My past work in economic development and housing plus my deep roots has given me a strong urge to save my Crookston. Please help by posting your comments!

1 comment:

  1. I love your ideas mom!! We know what needs to be done - restore downtown. Simple, effective way to bring our community together. Not to mention fun! All the old buildings have 100 million times more character than any new building. As far as money, it would be either less or equal but definitely never more than a new building. Plus, we don't have to pay acouple million to tear it down. The ground is good (unlike the new highschool, sorry if I'm ofending anyone it's okay though, what's done is done) and I think most of the buildings and their foundations are doing just fine! One of the first things we need is a parking garage with multiple levels so it doesn't take up much square footage. We also need more local talented artists (jewelry, wood, crafts, clothes, art).

    ReplyDelete