Sunday, February 22, 2009

Part Three of Vision for Crookston

Part III Oops, I gave it away already: Make Downtown Crookston a destination for thrift, consignment, antique and collectible shoppers. Encourage retired folks, married couples with one income already, and non-profits to start a business. You’ll notice that I mention the type of business owners we need—Business is just too slow downtown now to encourage a single person to open up a business and depend on that business for a living. Not yet, anyway. But if we
• First: Beautify, and slow traffic,
• Second: Address parking once and for all, and
• Third: encourage thrift, consignment, antique, & collectible shops,
More people will come to attend what we already do have: Farmer’s Market, OxCart Days, etc. plus, they will come just to shop. Most of the people that shopped at Kay’s Attic were from Grand Forks! They were on their way to the lakes for the weekend. Or, they were people who used to live in Crookston that stopped by to reminisce about the former S & L Building with its gravity run system for making change. (Anyone skilled enough to put one together? I have a set, a gift from a great friend, John Vraa.) These folks were visiting friends and relatives. Last fall, I had people in the store that came just for the thrifts, and antiques and collectibles. Just in case you didn’t know, we have a new thrift shop that benefits the Humane Society and a new antiques & collectibles store “Timeless Treasures” operated by Cindy LaFleur in the former Mattie’s Menagerie location. Kay’s Attic & Antique Emporium will be changing to a thrift shop that benefits Prairie Skyline Foundation. It’s going to be great, Crookston that is; I just know it.
counter web statistics
web statistics and analytics counter

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a serious question concerning my personal finances. I own some property in Crox and haven’t been able to do anything with it. I’ve talked with them over at the government center about the issue dealing with back taxes. They said it takes 3 years on non payment of taxes and then the building is transferred from me being the owner to what? The county or the city? I know the story about the Wayne Hotel being a tax forfeit property. If it goes to the county what happens to the city’s part of the back taxes? The city has increased the flood fund fee and now they are going to start charging for city street lights. Taxes are going up, even tho so far they haven’t said anything. They can’t help but go up. I think I would openly declare, straight out to the city, county, that I’ll have to start the process of letting the building go for back taxes. Why hide it. I just can’t be ruined, financially, by a building that has little value while paying more and more fees. These are terrible times for a individual. A city can always handle it by reaching out. I simply can’t do that. What do you think? Is it the county who gets the building back in a tax forfeit situation? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Will, You are so right, these are very trying times for the average person/family. As a general rule, most government entities are not designed to reach out to the individual, but for the individual to come in to them. So, you just have to find the right contact person. We are fortunate in Crookston to have good understanding people to consult with. Have you talked with Jerry Amiot, the County Auditor? He is the one that can tell you exactly what will happen to your building in the tax forfeiture process and he may have suggestions for you as well. The County is the government entity that is responsible for just about everything related to lands and titles and easements. I do not know if the City and special taxing districts have a mechanism to get their portion of property taxes back when a person pays up the back taxes, but I’m sure there is one. Letting a property go into tax forfeiture is a last resort and is very personal. I suggest emailing me directly at khegge@gmail.com. If you tell me more about your building we could brainstorm some ideas together.

    ReplyDelete